Thai Massaman Curry - in the Crock Pot!


 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
I can't believe it is 2014 already!  Where does the time go?

**

This was so good!  I have not mastered curry yet.  I have made one amazing curry that was not in the crock pot but it took me ALL DAY LONG!  I love a good crock pot curry because it takes all day to cook, it just doesn't take me all day!

 photo IMG_7629_zpsb20cc7c5.jpg

I used this recipe ... I didn't change it ... the credit is all theirs!

1 tablespoon peanut oil

750g beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into bite size pieces

1 onion, halved, thinly sliced

1/4 cup thai massaman curry paste

2 garlic cloves, crushed

6 cardamom pods, bruised

1 cinnamon stick

2 kaffir lime leaves, vein removed, chopped

270ml can coconut milk
 
500g potatoes, peeled, cut into same size as beef
2 large carrots, peeled, thickly sliced
1/4 cup fish sauce

1 tablespoon palm sugar

1 tablespoon lime juice

Rice, cooked (I do ours in the rice cooker)

Chopped dry roasted peanuts and coriander leaves, to serve 
Brown the beef in batches in 1/2 tablespoon peanut oil.  Put in crock pot.

 photo IMG_7613_zpsc56361ad.jpg

Saute onion in remaining 1/2 tablespoon peanut oil until soft.  Add curry paste and garlic.  Cook for a minute ... until it smells amazing.  Put in crock pot. 

Add cardamom, cinnamon, lime leaves, coconut milk, potato, carrot, fish sauce and sugar.  Cook on low - 8 hours, or until beef is tender.

When finished, pick out the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick.  Add lime juice.  Serve on top of rice, sprinkled with peanuts and coriander.


1 comment:

Kath said...

This looks yummy indeed!

And thanks for picking out the cardamom pods! When my Mom made her fanciest shrimp curry she would throw some into the rice. Dad would serve our plates from his place, covering the rice with the curry. If I wasn't very careful, I would get a large zing of cardamom that would just ruin that bite! Now I use it in some recipes, I love the flavor, but still not sure I would care for the zing!