Savory Muffins: Mexican


 photo DSC_0114_2_zps6e4de780.jpg 


The kids, finally, talked me into letting them take sandwiches to school for their lunches.  At the beginning of the school year, I relented ... instead of leftovers, they could make sandwiches.  I guess they grew tired of them real quick because now we are looking for other options!! (just not leftovers!) I have been thinking that savory muffins might be a good bet.  Jono is home sick today and has taste tested these and given his thumbs up.  We will see what Alia thinks when she gets home in a bit. 

I tried to make these a bit 'mexican' ... will play around with different flavors and ingredients in subsequent batches.  I think the options will be endless!

what i used.
'dry' ingredients
4 cups self raising flour
1 cup chopped ham
1 cup grated cheese (I used half mozzarella and half tasty (white cheddar))
1 spring onion, chopped
1 cup canned corn, drained
1 (4oz) can green chiles
1/2 cup sliced green olives
a hand full of fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
salt
pepper

 'wet' ingredients
3/4 cup olive oil
2 cups milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten

what to do.
Pre-heat oven to 180C/375F.  Line muffin tins with cupcake papers ... or grease.  Whichever is your preference.  I use the papers. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Then add the wet ingredients to the dry.  Gently stir until just combined.   Don't over mix or your muffins will be tough.  (but make sure you get all the flour down at the bottom ... no one likes a bite of unmixed flour in their muffin!)  Bake in oven until golden.  Mine took 25 minutes.  In hindsight, I'd probably leave them another 5 minutes next time ... they are cooked but only just! 

I'm going to freeze these in individual ziplocks so they are easy for the kids to grab when they pack their lunches!

No comments: