Cream of Chicken and Barley Soup

I had the most amazing soup at a luncheon at Glen Echo Country Club. This is my attempt to replicate it. I added chicken to make it a meal rather than a first course, and I omitted the almonds in deference to my husband. I recommend adding them, as they add a delightful crunch. I'm not sure at what point to add them though. You can also use cream, or yogurt mixed with a little flour to thicken the soup and make it creamy. I chose this low-fat option, and it was delicious!

  • 2 chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • ½-2/3 c pearl barley
  • 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 c chicken broth
  • dried thyme
  • 1 c nonfat dried milk
  • 2 T cornstarch
  • garlic powder
  • optional: salt, pepper, sliced almonds

(may use other chicken pieces, removing meat from bone after first hour of cooking and returning meat to soup)

Put chicken, onions, carrots, and barley in soup pot. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer one hour. After an hour, add mushrooms and continue simmering until barley is tender (approximately 30 minutes). Add water as needed at any point to maintain soup consistency.

In separate container, combine powdered milk, cornstarch, and garlic powder. Add enough water to dissolve milk and cornstarch and stir. Add this mixture into soup and stir to incorporate. Continue to simmer until soup thickens and becomes creamy. Season to taste. Add almonds if desired. Serve with crusty bread.

1 comment:

Dreams of cakes said...

Delicious soup! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.