Orange Cranberry Muffins

I have a really good muffin recipe that I originally got from the "Joy of Cooking" cookbook. Today I modified it to make these delicious muffins. I have two different zesters and I used both today. One makes ribbons of zest that don't put off as much flavor but are very pretty in a recipe. The other more traditional one scratches the surface of the orange and you get tiny bits of orange peel that is quite wet. Almost like a paste.

(Dry ingredients)
2 c. flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Zest ribbons from one orange

(Wet ingredients)
2 large eggs
1 c. vanilla yogurt
2/3 c. sugar
4 tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla
Traditional zest from one orange

2/3 c. dried cranberries


Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients. Then mix the two together in one of the bowls and throw the cranberries in as well. I know you've heard this before but DO NOT overmix it. It's more like folding the ingredients together. Just until combined. Scoop into a muffin pan with liners sprayed with cooking spray. the recipe makes a dozen muffins. Heap the batter in!

Bake at 400 degrees for about 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool a couple minutes before taking them out of the pan. They are best hot.

If you have as many oranges as I do, serve them with freshly squeezed orange juice.



If you would like to make a different flavor, omit the orange zest and cranberries and add whatever you like.

2 comments:

Kath said...

These look so yummy! I notice you used muffin liners...I now use them again....after someone told me to spray just a dab of Pam in the bottom of each one...muffins come out like magic! I hated washing muffin pans, I hated leaving half a muffin in the paper, I'm happy now!

andrafaye said...

these look fab.

ellie, i have never thought to spray the muffin liners with pam. BRILLANT!!