Hillbilly Bread

This recipe was shared with me by a dear friend in Alaska. I can still smell it's aroma in her warm, and inviting kitchen on a cold winter day.
This is my go-to bread recipe. It's no-fuss and delicious!
Smeared with a dab of butter on each slice and it's heavenly! :)

2 cups warm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon salt

Mix above ingredients together and let stand for 30 minutes.
Add the following ingredients to the first mixture:

1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose flour
2 1/2 cups wheat flour

Mix well. Let rise until double in size. Punch down and make into 3 loafs. Place into greased pan and let raise to desired size.
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from pans and let cool on rack.

* I usually halve this recipe for my little family, but have, at least once, made the entire recipe and froze a loaf. I like to form a "bowl" bread on my Pampered Chef stone. 

Printable Recipe:
Hillbilly Bread

No comments: