Healthy Muffins {Take Two}



So ... I tried THE MUFFINS again and these were a huge success. I'm really pleased with how they turned out. We didn't need butter on them at all ... We'll keep making these and trying different fruit variations !! Again ... this made 24 muffins !! And they are perfect for lunches !!

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups whole wheat spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
4 eggs
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup milk
3 granny smith apples
1 cup frozen mango squares
1.5 cup frozen blueberry/cherry mixture
1 frozen banana (I chopped it, Rory reckons mash it next time ...)

Put your muffin papers in your tins.
Peel and chop apple, add 1 or 2 tsp water and cook in microwave about 5 minutes. Smush 'em up.
Combine dry ingredients.
Combine wet ingredients, minus the fruit.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine.
Fold in fruit. ( I make 12 berry ones and 12 mango/banana )
Put in muffin tins.
Bake on 180C/350F for 20/30 minutes. Mine took about 30 ...

6 comments:

Kath said...

They look much less dense and much more moist, and very very yummy.....when is tea?!?

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Those look great!!! Two questions though. One, what is spelt flour? Is there a benefit to this over whole wheat? Also, why olive oil and not like canola or something? I love the taste of olive oil, so I'm just curious.

Bonnie said...

Mom ... tea is as soon as you get here !

Ashley ... here's a link for you ... http://nutrition.about.com/od/grainsandcereals/p/spelt.htm
I used it (in addition to the whole wheat) because it seems to be a lighter flour and my last attempt at whole wheat muffins were a bit heavy. I had it in the house because I made crackers with it ... they were great !! I'll keep it in the house now as it seems to be a great healthy addition to our pantry !!

As for the olive oil ... I used canola last time and just wanted to try something a bit different. Plus ... having been born (and living many years) in Spain, I'm a bit partial to olive oil !!

Sabba and Nanny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kath said...

and does spelt flower?

Sabba and Nanny said...

Spelt is another spelling of spelled. Just kidding!
Or how about "Flour is spelt flour."
Just can't help playing with words. It's how my mind works.