Healthy Blueberry Muffins




The inspiration for these muffins was from a great blog called The Gracious Pantry. I've just recently discovered this blog but I love it. Probably because I can eat most everything on it !! Her Clean Eating Kiwi Flax Muffin recipe looked so good and they were ok for us to eat on our whole unprocessed journey this year so the kids and I had a go at making them !! We did make a few changed and I'll post my adapted recipe here ... It will be a bit of a work in progress though. Next time I plan to stew some apples and add them ... these were a bit dry. And pretty heavy. We're still eating them and loving having a baked good but I think apples will be a great addition ... Any other suggestions would be welcome too ...

Here's what I did. I doubled her recipe and got 24 muffins out of it. This is the doubled recipe ...

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flax seed meal (I might replace this with whole wheat spelt flour next time)
2 eggs
1/4 cup agave ( I actually decreased this ... next time, I'll use none ... just apples)
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup milk (I used regular milk ... next time, I'll use almond !)
2 cups blueberries (I used frozen)

Put your muffin papers in your tins.
Combine dry ingredients.
Combine wet ingredients, minus the fruit.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine.
Fold in fruit.
Put in muffin tins.
Bake on 180C/350F for 20/30 minutes. Mine took about 30 ...

And there you have it. I'm going to make some more tomorrow. With the apple. I'll let you know how they turn out ...

2 comments:

Tiffany@ The Gracious Pantry said...

They do look a bit heavy. The whole wheat pastry flour called for in the recipe makes ALL the difference! Regular whole wheat flour is far to heavy.

If you want to venture into baking of this sort, I strongly recommend having the WWPF on hand. You will see a very large difference.

Also, the frozen blueberries most likely didn't have the same water content as the fresh kiwi. This will also make a difference.

Elevation is another factor, as is the extra oil and egg yolks.

The apples sound like a great idea! I will have to try that with my next batch.

I hope you'll give the original recipe a try. I think you'll like it.

Thanks for trying my recipe!

Kath said...

I sometimes cut apples into bite sized chunks and microwave it with about a teaspoon of water for about 5 minutes. I do that and then put the hot apples on vanilla ice cream for dessert. They are soft, yummy and EASY. All of this to say you might try the microwave method to stew them. I might grate the apples and leave them raw. Or, what about applesauce (Maybe the soft apples would mash...)that would perhaps be closer to the texture of the agave?