Cheesy Crackers - Take One



I found this recipe for Cheese Crackers and decided to give it a go. I changed it a bit. I wasn't 100% happy with them but I'll try them again with a few modifications and I think they will be better ! Having said that I wasn't happy ... we are all still eating them !

125 gr. flour - I used 1/2 wholemeal spelt and 1/2 wholemeal millet.
Next time I'll go 100 % plain old wholemeal.
½ teaspoon paprika
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
80 gr. butter
125 gr. gouda cheese - I used tasty cheese. Next time I'm going to try Parmesan.
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons lemon juice.


Preheat oven to 410F/210C.

I'm pretty much cutting and pasting these directions ... Put all the above ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Pulse a little bit longer; mixture should come together into a ball. (I did it too long, I think and it got too sticky. I'll be more careful next time.) Let it rest in refrigerator for 20min. (I think I let it rest longer and it probably wasn't good.) Roll the dough out thinly about 1/8" thick using generous amounts of dusting flour. Use fork to poke holes in the dough. (oops, just realized I forgot to poke holes !) Bake until the crackers start to get just golden on the edges. Remove from the oven, and transfer to a cooling rack.

4 comments:

Liz M. said...

what on EARTH is tasty cheese?

T'lia said...

Hey Bonnie,

I don't know if this is they type of thing you'd consider doing, but I noticed that you used spelt and millet. Do you think you would comapare and review the different substitutes for flour etc?

I'd love to try some alternatives, but just don't know what the implications of using them are! And I haven't been able to find any good sites on it!

Bonnie said...

Jilly ... tasty cheese is cheddar cheese. WHY ON EARTH they call it tasty cheese is beyond me !?! I've been here 12 years and I still don't get it. It's not a brand name either ... you can get 'tasty' cheese in lots of brands. BIZARRE !!! Come to Australia and taste the tasty cheese !

Talia ... I could try ... maybe towards the end of the year :) I'm only just starting out and I really don't know much yet. But ... I like your idea so I'll start making some notes !!

Sabba and Nanny said...

Yeah, I think most cheeses are tasty. I think cheddar is tasty, but so is queso manchego. So is feta. So is Parmesan, so is bleu cheese, so is, and on and on...