Asparagus and Whole Wheat Pasta



I made this the other night when Rory's Mum was staying with us.
It was a hit ! So yummy ... such an interesting mix of flavors.
I got the original recipe out of a Rachael Ray cookbook that my cousin, Jill, gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I modified it a bit ... here's what I did ... if you want to do what
Rachel did you'll have to go buy her cookbook ...


2 bunches of asparagus, chopped into one inch pieces
1 bag of whole wheat penne pasta
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
garlic ... minced ... i used about 4 cloves ... but do what you like
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
3/4 cup veggie stock
3/4 cup thickened cream
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
juice and zest of one lemon
a couple twists of the pepper grinder
sea salt flakes ... or whatever salt you like
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped
fresh parmesan cheese, grated

Boil your water for the pasta. Then cook it ...

In my cast iron skillet, I used a bit of olive oil and sauteed the asparagus and set aside.

In my electric fry pan, I added the (1 tbls) olive oil and the butter ... then the garlic and cooked for a couple minutes, til it smells like you'd like to stop there and just eat that. But don't. Sprinkle your flour into the pan and stir. Add the stock, cream, mustard and lemon zest. Stir. Add salt, pepper and tarragon. Cook for a couple minutes, til it thickens. Add the lemon juice, asparagus and cooked pasta.

Grate your cheese on top and you're done.

6 comments:

PageRank Check said...

looks delicious love to try this one

Liz M. said...

is thickened cream anything like heavy whipping cream?
And also, yay! I'm so happy you're using the cookbook! this looks yummmmmmmmmmmy.

Bonnie said...

yeah ... you could use heavy whipping cream. the original rachael ray recipe used half and half ...

Kath said...

Have you tried the o-so easy asparagus alfredo pasta recipe? If so, do you think that sauteeing the asparagus gives it a flavor worth the work? Should I consider sauteeing the asparagus next time I make my alfredo? I've not been too impressed with the recipes I've used with lemon in pasta sauces, it seems to overtake the other flavors instead of blending. Did this lemon taste blend in with the others? The mustard addition sounds intriguing......And I'm starting to see asparagus in the stores in the sale adds....hooray! I love asparagus season!

Bonnie said...

I have tried that one Mom and yes, I think sauteeing gives it great extra flavor ! I'd try it next time you do your alfredo. But ... I'd give this a go, next time you use asparagus. I think you'll like it. I loved the mustard. Last night I whipped up a little something for Rory's lunch today. Used the leftover cream and added whole grain seed mustard. It's yum too !! The lemon was not overpowering. It mixed really well with the other flavors. It was such an interesting mix !! We all really liked it ...

Kath said...

Thanks Bon! New way to eat asparagus, here we come!