Pumpkin Scone



I admit it. I went to Starbucks yesterday and had this...and ate the whole thing...well, all of it but 2 bites..two very small bites...okay, two crumbs...
But anyway I came home and remembered I had pureed the last of my pumpkins and needed to use it. I hadn't froze it because there wasn't enough to mess with.

So I googled "Starbucks Pumpkin Scone" and there were about 236,000 results. I chose a recipe from RecipeZaar again since I have had luck with those before...Here is the recipe

Scone

2 cups flour
7 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves (I use less as the cloves can be a bit overpowering)
1/4 t ground ginger
6 T cold butter
1/2 c pumpkin puree
3 T half and half (I used 1% because that is what I have)
1 large egg

Spiced Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
2 T milk
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch cloves
(I just used my "Pumpkin Pie Spice" and just shook a bit into the bowl as I was mixing it)



Preheat oven 425F
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl.
Using a pastry knife cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter are obvious. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk and egg.
Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
Form the dough into a ball (good luck with that as it is very sticky and wet)
Pat dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide).
Use a large knife or pizza cutter to slice the dough twice through the width making 3 equal portions.
Cut those 3 portions diagonally so that you have 6 triangular slices of dough.
Now, my scones turned out HUGE so if you can manage I would even cut those 6 triangles into 2 so that you have a total of 12 scones.
Place on cookie sheet (lined with parchment or lightly oiled)
Bake 14-16 minutes.
Scones should turn a light brown.
Place on wire wrack to cool.

To make the glaze

Mix powdered sugar, spices and milk until smooth.

Once scones are cooled drizzle with glaze.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, delicious.

Sabba and Nanny said...

Looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

The recipe was great! Super easy and they taste just like Starbucks. I think this will be a new fall tradition for us! :)

Ellie said...

I made them... they're delicious.
Enough said