Greek Croustade


Photobucket

This is my Aunt Lori's recipe ...
I'm cutting and pasting from the email she sent me !

GREEK CROUSTADE

The original recipe has it all wrapped in phyllo dough which is fabulous but more time consuming so we just make it as a side dish. If you double the recipe it makes a nice 9x13 pan. I have also put a spoonful on a strip of phyllo and folded it up into a triangle. You can even freeze those and pull them out at a later date and bake them.

10oz frozen chopped spinach - cook according to pkg - squeeze out excess water
1/4 c chopped onion
3T butter
3T flour
1/4 t crushed tarragon
1 cup milk
2 eggs - beaten in a bowl
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup crumbled feta

In a saucepan, cook onion and butter until tender. Stir in flour & tarragon. Add milk all at once. Stir til thick and bubbly. Stir 1/2 of hot mixture into eggs and then return all to saucepan. Stir in cheeses and spinach. Stir thoroughly to break up spinach. Bake in an oiled pan at 375 for 35-40 minutes. I always watch for the top to start to brown.

***

I put a sheet of puff pastry under mine since I don't really like working with phyllo ... I think next time I'll put a sheet of puff pastry on top too !! The kids loved this 'pie', as they called it !!




No comments: