Tortillas

Here is my sister's recipe for tortillas. I've had these quite a few times at her house over the years and I don't know why I've never tried to make them. They are wonderful!

Tortillas
Recipe is from a family friend and my sister has adapted it over the years.

Ingredients:
3 C. whole wheat flour
1 C. white flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C. nonfat dry milk powder (optional--I don't usually use this much)

1 1/4 C. (warm) water
6 Tbs cooking oil

Directions:
Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Measure the water into a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Add oil. Stir quickly and pour into flour mixture.

Stir with a fork until mostly mixed. Dump onto countertop and knead a few times. (Slighty moist dough is way easier to roll out than dry, tough dough.) Divide into 16 balls. Place the balls close together on the countertop and cover with the inverted bowl (put the fork in the way to make it easier to open and shut the bowl) to prevent drying out while you roll them.

Roll each ball into a 9" circle, with a consistently thin layer of flour (to prevent sticking and "folding") on the countertop. Cook in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat for thirty seconds on each side. (When bubbles form, it's time to flip.) I use a double-wide pancake skillet turned to 350 degrees so I can keep a continuous supply going. It takes about 30 seconds for me to roll the next one. Patting the dough balls into a flat starting pancake is a good job for a little kid, and can speed the process up. These are labor-intensive, but it's what I'm used to now. Don't expect your first ones to be perfect! (i.e. don't get discouraged and never make them again)

Number Of Servings:16 9-inch tortillas

Preparation Time:longer than I'd like (about 25+ minutes)

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Thank you so much Beth !! I am probably going to make them tonight although it may get pushed back to tomorrow, depending on how busy my afternoon becomes. Wednesdays can often be crazy ! Maybe not the best time to try these but we shall see ... I am going to use them with your sweet potato and black bean recipe !!