Bean and Squash Quesadillas



I got this recipe from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cook book. We all love these! It is one of the few recipes I like and/or have tried from the book. Overall I'm not that impressed with the book - it was a gift.

1 T olive oil
1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder, or to taste
1/2 cup canned navy beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/2 cup butternut squash cooked and mashed
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
4 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
1/2 cup bottled salsa

Cook the chicken in the olive oil, salt, pepper and chili powder. In one bowl stirl together the mashed squash and the shredded cheese. In another small bowl mash the beans and then stir in the sour cream. Spread the bean mixture over one of the tortillas and spoon some chicken on top. On the other side/tortilla spread the squash mixture.



Put the two tortillas together like a sandwich and bake them on a cooking sheet at 400 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.
This makes about three large quesadillas.

I didn't have wheat tortillas so I used plain. I've made them with wheat before and they are great.

1 comment:

Khrista said...

I recently tried this with my daughter who is notoriously picky and does not eat any vegetables...she suspected something different despite me being especially sneaky, and nonchalant when she asked if I had made them differently. I got a copy of a book called "Sneaky Chef." I'm sure it's about the same. I have not given up hope and will try a few more recipes before I donate the book! :)