Red Lentil Soup with Rice


Red Lentil Soup with Rice

¾ cups red lentils (rinsed and drained)
salt to taste
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
8 cups water
6 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups onion, chopped
4 teaspoons garlic
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
¼ cup rice, rinsed and drained

Place lentils, salt, pepper, paprika and water in pot. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Melt butter in pan, fry onions and garlic until brown. Add cilantro and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in lentils, and rice. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer until rice is tender.

*
I always add a little hot pepper sauce to mine for a little extra kick! Yum!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Is this soup as delicious as it looks ? I love red lentils and will try this next week, I think !!

Khrista said...

It's one of my favorites! I will probably use olive oil in place of the butter next time. Healthier fat...and I always add more cilantro than called for! :)

Bonnie said...

My advice ... don't use olive oil instead of the butter. I tried it and the soup was quite tasteless. We ate it but didn't really like it. I need to try it again but with the butter to see what we really think ! I had a feeling I should have tried it with the butter the first time but went against that feeling ! tsk tsk. Usually I listen to my gut !!

Khrista said...

I'll heed your advice on the olive oil...I hope you do try it again with the butter. It's not an overly flavorful soup, that's why I ALWAYS add hot sauce to mine! :)